Fundraising can actually be fun. It does not have to be so daunting. We firmly believe that you can be successful if you do the following:
- Find out why your supporters are interested in your organization and help them remember this.
- Always keep supporters informed of how you're spending their money. Share your stories and accomplishments with them.
- Don't be afraid to try new things but be sure to test their efficacy.
- It's all about relationships--your relationships, your Board's relationships, and those of your "inner circle" of supporters.
- Make connections between people and between people and ideas.
- If you believe you will be funded, you will be funded.
- Invest in your data system and document everything.
- Spend enough time planning and then execute your plan throughout the year(s).
- Fundraising is like community organizing--you need to ask people for help and then followup with them regularly.
- Find ways to authentically thank your supporters individually.
- Listen, always.
- Don't assume anything about anyone. Take support from where you can get it, within the boundaries of ethics and your gut's reaction.